I had this same problem.  When you do a custom install.. the in.telnetd
daemon doesnt get installed .. so i went back and did a workstation install
.. and it was there .. go figure ... after you have the file .. go to
/usr/sbin and make sure its exec by owner, group and other, and then go to
/etc/inetd.conf and make sure telnet is
uncommented.

Good Luck,
Todd White