JoeHill wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:05:41 -0700
aron Smith disseminated the following:

Joe:
Kinda makes you want to go out and buy a copy of Suse, doesn't it? Resist
the urge.

Tried SUSE ........didn't work near as good as mandrake

Shite, it doesn't even come with DeCSS, so you can't play/rip DVD's. What a
bunch of wankers. If I *was* going to switch it would definitely be to Debian or
to a Debian-based distro like Libranet or Xandros, those that, like Mandrake,
aim at pleasing the user, not some draconian and corrupt legislators who came up
with the DMCA.

I think in some ways Debian has it all over Mandrake (and SUSE and REDHAT)..
As an example, I can load Debian Woody on a machine, (woody is a couple of years old)
And then use sources like "backports.org" to load the newest packages I need on that old linux.

The result is an extremely stable platform that works exactly as you need it to, without having to upgrade the machine at least every year, or compiling stuff from scratch each time a new version comes out.

Mandrake can't do that, because they make their money off selling memberships and the distro itself, so they need to create regular releases.

Its sad, because I love the mandrake layout, but I've slowly been changing all the servers I am in charge of over to Debian from mandrake.

-- rgds

Franki http://htmlfixit.com