On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 23:34, JoeHill wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:05:41 -0700
> aron Smith disseminated the following:
>
> > > Joe:
> > > Kinda makes you want to go out and buy a copy of Suse, doesn't it? Resist
> > > the urge.
> > Tried SUSE ........didn't work near as good as mandrake
>
> Shite, it doesn't even come with DeCSS, so you can't play/rip DVD's. What a
> bunch of wankers. If I *was* going to switch it would definitely be to Debian or
> to a Debian-based distro like Libranet or Xandros, those that, like Mandrake,
> aim at pleasing the user, not some draconian and corrupt legislators who came up
> with the DMCA.

I havent' really seen any huge advantage in Debian except in gathering
together a group of self interested narcissistic users that think
they're better than everyone else.  That's when compared to Mandrake.

My personal take on Linux is that you handle the installation problems
first, make them as foolproof as possible, handle as much hardware as
possible, then add the user gui interfaces for the less technically
capable, and then after all that is said and done, the user still has
the opportunity to become a more technical user if they like.  The CLI
and other deeper features of Linux will always be there for technical
users who want to delve into deeper layers of sophistication.  This
propaganda that there are more "technical" versions of linux out there
is a bunch of tripe.

There are not any "more technical" versions available, only versions
that are harder to use and require more expertise.  The technical
aspects of all Linux versions are essentially the same; it is only the
ease of installation and hardware detection that is better or worse.  I
tend to think that other distros advertise themselves as "technical"
just for the reason that they don't allocate the developer resources to
the installation and hardware configuration challenges to the degree
that Mandrake does.

Mandrake just adds a layer, and it doesn't remove any layers.  It's an
elitist cop out.

LX