On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 23:57, frankieh wrote:
> Eric Scott wrote:
> >     Yo.  I'm done some experimenting with web hosting, but I'm really quite
> > new at it.  I have a little home network with a single static IP.  The
> > internet server (Windows 2000 Server... I'd prefer a Mandrake box, but
> > anyway) is the only computer with the static IP. I also have an ol'
> > Mandrake 9.1 box attatched.  My experience is really close to null; what
> > I'd like to know is this:  is it possible, basically, to host a website
> > on the Mandrake box and have it easily acessable to the web?  I know
> > that the Win2k box is up to it, IIS's http & ftp servers work without
> > flaw, but is there any way that I can route a domain to the Mandrake box
> > that doesn't have an Internat IP? sure, it's got a local IP, but that
> > doesn't do much good.
> >             Thanx,
> >                ES
> > --
> > "If we stop voting for them, will they go away?"
>
> Yes you can, all you need to do is port forward port 80 on the windows
> box to port 80 on the internal IP of the mandrake box.
>
> I haven't used 2000 in a while, but I did once use it that way, and
> right clicking on the network interface in question and selecting
> properties is how to find the place to set the port forward.
>
> I'd imagine google would be quite handy if  you can't find it yourself.

Okie day, seems simple enough.  I found some basic how-to's via google,
and supposedly got port 80 forwarded to my Linux box's IP.  Problem is
it seems to make no difference.  supposedly I should just be able to go
to http://[my.internet.ip]:80/index.shtml or whatever and get apache...
right?  I know apache is working okay because I can go to
http://[my.local.ip]/index.shtml and it pops up with it's placeholder.
what am I not doing?
       Thanx,
             ES
--
Sent from a proudly owned Pentium One computer running Mandrake Linux
9.1  (A good use for an old box)

"To mess up a Linux box, you have to work at it; To mess up a Windows
box, you just have to work on it."

"If we stop voting for them, will they go away?"