On September 15, 2004 07:42 am, JoeHill wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:25:59 -0400
>
> Ronald J. Hall disseminated the following:
> > "I love my country but I fear my government"
>
> Amen to that. I think that's something that most people have in common, to
> varying degrees, all over the world.
>
> > Having said that, just let me note that no matter how bad my government
> > got, I'd never turn my back on my country, or disavow it.
>
> Well, I guess it depends on how you define 'country', at least to me. If
> you mean the people around you, that you live with and work with, and all
> the people that share your goals and values, basic to most of us, like
> 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (of course, in Canada it's:
> 'Life, Liberty, and the Security of the Person'...typical vague and somehow
> disturbing Canadian shite), then of course no one would disavow their
> country, IMO.
>
> Don't worry, though, the real people, the people that really make up a
> 'country', always win. The Government is always at a disadvantage:
>
> http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/s/SNAFUprinciple.html

Actually, it's Peace, Order and Good Government which you, of all people
should know, Joe.

And it's been used in rather disturbing fashion.  AKA the War Measures Act in
1970 when we Canadians were dealing with our own happy band of terrorists in
Quebec.  The Patriot Act, for all the it stinks to high heaven, is a piker
conpared to what we went through here at the time.  And better than 90% of
the population supported it at the time!

It's one reason that I dispair of all the criticism that goes on among my
holier-than-thou countrymen who seem to forget our own track record when we
flay George W Bush.  We do that while naming mountains, airports and anything
else not nailed down after Pierre E Trudeau who imposed the war measures act.
Need I point out our hypocracy?

And, though you wouldn't know it by all the uninformed hand wringing going on
in some circles in Washington, DC, our current security laws haven't
elimiated that bit of wartime nonsense.  It's just been renamed, repackaged
and taught to smile.

Oh, and guess which country is home to the most developed, efficent and most
secret communications interception and decryting agency on the planet?  Why
it's Canada.

For all that I'm still Canadian and always will be.  I just don't trust
government much.  Any government.  Then again, I don't expect much from them
either.

Not bad for a unreconstructed lefty :)

ttfn

John
Composed on a 100% Microsoft Free Computer
Guaranteed Virus Free
Mandrake Linux 10.0 OE
Registered Linux User 362316