On 16 Sep 2004 01:39:02 +0000
Eric Scott disseminated the following:

> Though I'm not a proficient or experience developer, I like to tinker
> with code every now and then and learn what I can.  What are some of the
> best development environments can I run on my Mandrake 9.1 box that have
> something like the intuitiveness of KDevelop and something in the
> neighborhood, or at least the same state, as Visual Studio .net?

I use a file manager called ROX, which is developed using PyGTK. From what
I've seen, the learning curve is not too steep, people seem to pick it up pretty
quickly (no personal experience, just observation of others' progress). Check
out code samples and development notes here:

http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Developers

and here:

http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/ROX-Lib

The way I understand it is that PyGTK is a set of 'bindings' for developing GTK
apps using Python.

Also, the developer of this software:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

...has gone from Visual to something called 'wxWidgets', read the short bit he
has to say about it on his site.

This is all from a *non-coder* (me), so hopefully this is of some help :-)

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.freeyourmachine.org
13:34:23 up 44 days, 13:20, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00