Russell W. Behne wrote:
I want to network 2 computers off of my host. (One for each of my kids.)
Right now both new boxes are windows only. I have a couple old hard
drives that I will install, one in each box, to use for Linux. I want:

1. Both computers to be able to dual boot using lilo, Linux as
default, with a super-bare-bones Linux install, (See #3.)
2. Use static IP addresses for all 3 machines, 127.0.0.1 for
mine, 127.0.0.11 for the first dual-boot machine, and
127.0.0.12 for the second. 3. Linux to boot its files systems from my host over the network, so on upgrades upgrading the main box will update all 3.
4. A common password system, where all passwords are maintained on the main box.
5. Each of the 2 boxes will have it's own /home/$user directory (to save space on the server), the main box will have all
other user directories in its /home, and /home appears
identical on all 3 boxes, so one can login on any machine.
6. Set up things to that the 2 kid's boxes have a `time window' when they can be connected to the Internet, (not 24/7.)
7. Limit instant messaging, as above, to certain times of the day, and set a quota of how long per day they can use IM.
8. Keep a watchfull eye on what they're doing, and what they're viewing.

How do I accomplish all this, in what order? Exactly which howtos can help? I don't even know where to begin!

Russell,

At the risk of sounding like Joe Hill, please remove your email address from the "Reply To" line in your email settings. Otherwise, no one else on the list can see replies from other list-members that try to help you.

Back to the fun part,...

By the sounds of things, you've got a handle on the IP address problem, but I was looking at the rest of your "shopping list", and it seems to me that you would be better off using LTSP for your children.

LTSP would allow you to leave your two new PC's untouched and intact, and they wouldn't need extra hard drives. Since your intention is to have Linux delivered to their systems via your PC and you want to maintain and control their Internet access from your system, it seems to be the logical choice.

Have a look at http://www.ltsp.org and get back to the list. LTSP will allow you to install the necessary packages onto your system, and to create boot floppy disks for the two kids PC's. Booting those PC's from the floppy disks will automatically connect the PC's to yours and they will receive a desktop and only the applications you want them to have.

The site also has useful goodies such as "meter Maid" which will allow you to track and enable/disable their Internet access and/or access to Linux.

At those times when they need Windows, the can simply reboot their PC's without the floppy disks and Windows will still be ready to go and untouched by Linux. This also means that you won't have to install extra hard drives in those two PC's.

As of version 4.0, LTSP also came with a pretty good setup wizard which simplifies the whole setup considerably. While you're at it, this site will also help you create the necessary bootdisks for each system as long as you know which network cards you have in those two PC's.

http://www.rom-o-matic.net/

With a small bit of tweaking, you'll be able to lock down what the kids can/can't do and when. Hope that helps.

--
Lanman
Registered Linux User #190712