Hi Everyone,

I am yet another Windows bod who has seen the light and is trying to make headway into a brave new world of Linux [very new for me anyway :-) ].

........[BTW apologies now if this message gets too long!]........

I've been lucky enough to pick up a number of different bits of hardware over the last couple of years, namely:-

Broadband Modem
Firewall/Router [DHCP]
16 Port Switch
4 Port Hub
UPS, which ways a ton!
1 Mac [OS X]
1 Windows machine [XP]
Networkable Printer
Games console [XBOX]
Loads of cables
[and now] 1 Linux Box [running Mandrake 10.0 and writing this message] 8-)

.....and now i have the chance to build a 'server', which I want to be of a Linux flavour of course.

What I would like to do is network all of these together [I need to keep the XP and Mac running in their native OS as I use other applications on these and I'm not the only user]. I need these boxes to obviously be able to 'see' each other, but also allow the following:-

Internet access [http, email, ftp, etc]
All machines to be able to print
File access from the server [mp3's, movies, pix]
Storage of files on server with automatic data backup and UPS [dodgy electrical supply round here!!]
XBOX Live connection over the net
Network to be as secure as possible

I'm thinking of plugging this lot in like this:-
Modem - Firewall/Router - Server & Xbox - Switch - XP & Mac & Linux & Printer [with the UPS on the server]

As to the software:-
I had heard that there was a very secure version of BSD for servers?
CUPS for the printer?

Could you please let me know our thoughts and ideas on the actual physical connection of these bits of hardware, but also let me know your advice on what software I should be researching into.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can spare me.

Cheers

buzz