On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:54:15 +0100, John wrote:

> >When I burn a CD in MDK 10.0 from the commandline or with K3b,
> >then compare the md5sums of the iso file and /dev/hdc, they are
> >_always_ different, even if the CD works fine. Is there something
> >weird with 10.0, or is this a subtle sign of burner problems to
> >come, or what?
>
> When burn to disc, the md5sums include the lead in and lead out and so
> will inevitably result in different md5sums.
>
> The trick is to get it to md5sum the data on the disc only.

I don't think that's the case for two reasons. First, I've always
used this method before, and it's always worked. And second, even
if I screwed it up from the commandline, I'm sure K3b would do it
correctly when I select the "Verify data" option. But it always
comes up wrong, too.

One other thing I considered: crappy media. And make no mistake,
I'm using Ritek--the crappiest, most god-awful media on planet.
But when I burned to a RW this morning, I had the same problem
(burning with K3b, with verification checked).

What do you do to verify discs?

Miark