On Tuesday 26 October 2004 19:58, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 14:13, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Hello friends...
> >
> > Until I installed 10.1 CE my Olympus C740UZ worked like a charm
> > : Just plugging it into an USB port popped up a harddisk icon
> > on my desktop (be it KDE or Gnome) and I could copy, move,
> > delete and one thing and another, just as another mass storage
> > medium. I could even use the camera as another USB stick.
> >
> > But in 10.1 the thing goes crazy : plugging the camera into an
> > USB port clutters the desktop with strange icons
> > (xsane-blah-blah-blah), rearranges all other icons and never
> > stops.
> >
> > Furthermore the CPU goes bananas.  Using "top" when in KDE
> > shows kdeinit consuming 99% of the CPU cycles. In Gnome nothing
> > shows in "top", but nevertheless the system becomes almost
> > unusable. Logging out/in doesn't remedy the problem, only a
> > full reboot does.
> >
> > Strange thing is, /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab don't reveil
> > anything concerning the matter.
> >
> > Do I really have to roll back to 10.0 ?
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> I'm quit happy with 10.1, so (according to me)
> you shouldn't roll back.
>
> But Kaj,
> what do you get when running "tail -f /var/log/messages" when you
> plug in the device?
> That's where we should be looking ....as well as "lsmod" before
> and after plugging-in.
>
> Are these symptoms showing up in gnome as well as in KDE? You
> didn't mention;)

Thanks, H.J.

Right now I'm a little reluctant to plug in my camera again, because
it makes my 10.1 completely unusable.  If nothing else shows up, I
may have to, and will let you know.

lsmod doesn't show anything about a camera.

And yes, KDE + Gnome + ICEwm + Windowmaker all runs amok after a
camera is plugged in.  This is driving me crazy.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *