On Wednesday 27 October 2004 00:26, Aron Smith wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 01:14 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> > > There is no camera listed by lsmod, as your camera is seen as
> > > a hard drive, nothing more. See up above about the USB Mass
> > > Storage support.
> > >
> > > Mine is too. That is normal for many cameras on the market.
> > >
> > > What happens if you disable supermount with a "supermount
> > > disable" command at root?
> > >
> > > There is also another tool like supermount that installs with
> > > Gnome, but I forget what it is. I uninstalled it long ago.
> > >
> > > Rob
> >
> > Well, to answer H.J. and Rob :
> >
> > No, of course my camera doesn't hold 17 GB (!) - only 128 MB.
> >
> > It took me a while to post this,  because I had to reboot 4
> > times in order to get rid of all those strange icons and calm
> > down my CPU a little.
> >
> > I tried "supermount -i disable" with no succes, and I removed
> > "magicdev" as well. No changes, still this camera (or is it the
> > xD card in it ?) haunts my system.  I even tried to connect it
> > to my daughters Windows-box in order to check if the card was
> > defunct, which it isn't (and the camera screen works O.K.).
> >
> > To me this seems like a USB malfunction.  I tried to add the
> > camera to /etc/fstab with different settings, like sda0 and
> > sda1, umask=0, noauto, user etc.. etc....    Still no go.
> >
> > Ghost in the machine ??? --- Aliens from outer space ???
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> Do you have FLPhoto and GTKam installed?

Yes, both.  And "Digikam".  They are all unusable because just
plugging the camera into the USB port immidiately puts my CPU in
overdrive, which means that it is 99% busy cluttering my screen
with infinite numbers of incomprehensible icons.  Those icons seem
to be related to xsane and are named something
like /proc/bus/usb/004/xxx (where xxx goes ad infinitum).

Even in runlevel 3 i can see the process going on
(in /var/log/messages).  The system connects/disconnects its USB
device until hell freezes over or I reboot.

As a last resort I re-installed 10.1 CE from scratch, copied nothing
back from my backup CDs, updated available rpms and tried anew.
Still staring at my runaway box.

I have reached the point of considering a switch to some other
distro, maybe Fedora or Debian.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *