Am Do, den 28.10.2004 schrieb Graham Watkins um 8:22:
> Well, why?
>
> In the past I've mostly used Star Office 5.2 which while it doesn't go
> at the speed of light, leaves Open Office 1.1 standing.
>
> It's just taken me about 15 minutes to open a file, make a small
> alteration and print a single page with about 3 lines of text and a box
> on it.
>
> Oh, and I can't figure out how to change the default printer settings
> and right now life's too short to try.
>
> It's just as well I've got Star Office because if all I had to use was
> OO, I think I'd be forced to spend a lot more time in Windows.  Come to
> think of it, I might get faster results using Word with Wine.
>
> Is everyone else here having the same experience?
>
> How do you cope?
>
> I'm using it with Mandrake 9.2 and KDE 3.1. on a Pentium III for all the
> difference it makes. I have no plans to upgrade the software until I get
> a faster computer.
>
> Cheers

How much memory do you have? I used until recently a PIII 450 with 128
MB, MDK 10.0 in the office and OO was slow but it didn't need 15 Minutes
to open a document.

Now with a Celeron D and 512 MB OO is fast and I see no difference with
my Pentium M and 512 MB. Thus I assume that it's either due to low
memory or there is a problem with your OO installation. Have you tried
to reinstall OO yet?

Alex

PS: Even my really old K6 200 with 112 MB doesn't need 15 mins to open a
file with OO, I just tested it... ('bout 30 secs for 10,7 kb)