On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> well, I don't have devfs.  According to some bugzilla reports, quite
> the opposite is needed.  Warly posted something in his notes on
> 10.1, saying "disable devfs, enable udev"..... Confusing.
> >
> > BTW, doesn't the box quiten down when removing the camera?
>
> Nope.  Keeps running at 99% .
>
> And Anne,  thanks for your support, I intend to report the bug in
> bugzilla later today,  but I have to pin the problem down a little
> further in order to avoid too much verbosity.
>
> And, for the fun of it, I found another solution that doesn't burn
> my CPU :
>
> Boot into Knoppix, where the camera shows nicely as another
> harddisk, ftp the photos to my website and - being back in
> Mandrake, ftp them home again.  Where there is a will, there is a
> way...

Still sounds to me like hotplug and friends. Before I told you how to
disable hotplug with chkconfig, but I didn't mention stopping the service
(service hotplug stop).

It's quite rare in my experience that the kernel itself would be thrashing
the machine like that. If it is, you'd see dmesg flooded with messages,
but more often you'd see an oops or panic.

I'd also doubt udev as a major factor.  The normal "problem" with udev is
the device not showing up at all in /dev.

I tried several external devices yesterday, as a quick test. My Canon
camera, which the kernel saw but didn't recognize as a storage device, a
usb CF reader, a USB SD reader, and an external USB hard-drive.  In none
of the cases, did the kernel give any indication it was aware of the
actual media type, aside from the identifier string of the reader device,
that's pretty much the reader's job the deal with the media.

--
Stew Benedict
Mandrakesoft