On Friday 29 October 2004 15:02, JoeHill wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:28:10 +0100
>
> Derek Jennings disseminated the following:
> > (Yes Joe I know pekwm is better, but its not so easy to install)
>
> If he could build Fluxbox he could build Pekwm.
Yes he built it, but it didn't work.

> However, Pek is nowhere
> near as easy to configure I'll give you that, and of course once it's
> installed you almost *have to* start it from text mode, not KDM or
> whatever.
>
> Even Fluxbox is easier to customise if you start it from text mode, ie.
> dockapps and other things you want to start with Flux.
>
> Has anyone ever come up with a definitive answer as to how to add
> WM's installed from source to the login manager?
>
> Has anyone ever come up with a definitive answer as to why logging in in
> text mode is more difficult than with a GDM? ;-)
>
> 1. Enter username
>
> 2. Enter password
>
> 3. One of many simple and intuitive methods for starting X (Xtart, alias
> 'startx' as 'x' in .bashrc, etc.)
>
> Once you've tried Pek, you'll never go...something that rhymes with Pek
> that means 'back' :-D

I do not know about a "definitive answer", but I can start pekwm from KDM or
GDM on my computer. What I have is

# more /etc/X11/wmsession.d/19pekwm
NAME=pekwm
ICON=pekwm.png
EXEC=/usr/X11R6/bin/pekwm
DESC=Small fast Windowmanager
SCRIPT:
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/pekwm

# more /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/19pekwm.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pekwm
Comment=pekwm
TryExec=/usr/X11R6/bin/pekwm
Exec=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession pekwm
Icon=
Type=Application

# more /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions/19pekwm.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pekwm
Comment=pekwm
TryExec=/usr/X11R6/bin/pekwm
Exec=pekwm
Icon=
Type=Application

# more /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/pekwm
#!/bin/sh
exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession pekwm

I'm not sure if all those files are needed.

Any word of a new release for pekwm?, or do we have to wait for the author to
complete his national service?

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net