On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 08:48, ali tig wrote:
> hello everybody,
> i'm very newbie about mandrake10.0.
> i installed the mandrake linux afew hours ago. but it started in text
> mode.
> can you help me how can i start the kde (or gnome) in text mode?
>
> i tried the "startx" but it doesen't work.
>
> i'm waiting your help.
> Ali TIG

If X11/XOrg is not starting, then there is a problem either with your
video driver, or the monitor settings; what I would recommend is that
you make sure you know what monitor you have (and it's settings) along
with what video card you have; login to the system as "root", and once
logged in, run XFdrake; make all the necessary changes (and test them);
once that is done, you should be able to reboot the system and login to
whichever desktop you so desire (or what you have installed).

--
stephen kuhn
mobile: 0410-728-389

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
Linux: Are you coming or what?

Feeling amorous, she looked under the sheets and cried, "Oh, no, it's
Microsoft!"