On Sunday 07 November 2004 19:12, Eric Scott wrote:
> Yo peeps;
> I'm trying to set up an NFS server on my Mandrake 9.2 server with client
>
> access from a SuSE 9.1 box.  Here's what I did on the server:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> ssh sipca.org
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] eric]$ su
> >Password:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] eric]# vi /etc/exports
>
> <snip>
> Added "/var/www/html   sipca.org(ro,root_squash)"
> </snip>
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] eric]# exportfs -r
> >exportfs: /etc/exports [2]: No 'sync' or 'async' option specified for
> > export "*:/home/eric".
> >  Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
> >  NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions
> >exportfs: /etc/exports [3]: No 'sync' or 'async' option specified for
> > export "sipca.org:/var/www/html".
> >  Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
> >  NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] eric]#
>
> On the SuSE box I got:
> >linux:/mnt # mount -t nfs sipca.org:/var/www/html /mnt/athlonxp
> >pmap_getmaps rpc problem: RPC: Timed out
> >mount: sipca.org:/var/www/html failed, reason given by server: Permission
> >denied
>
> I'm new to NFS... and all this I just tried from a googled howto.  Any
> help? Thanx,
>      ES

Are you running a firewall? If so you need to open port 111 and also make sure
the portmapper service is running.

BTW: The easy way for newbies to set up NFS servers is to use the 'NFS Mount'
GUI in Mandrake Control Centre.  It works over an ssh link. Just start 'mcc'
from your ssh shell.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net