On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, David Feldman wrote:

> I'm evaluating various Linux distros in order to recommend one to
> novice users, particularly Windows switchers. Mandrake has been
> recommended to me, especially since it can resize NTFS partitions.
>
> I downloaded 10.1 Community and tried to install but have been unable
> to do so. First I got a text-based installer instead of graphical, and
> the best I was able to achieve was a system that booted to a text login
> prompt instead of GNOME or KDE. Then I tried the low-res graphical
> install, but the best I was able to achieve there was that it would
> hang at the post-install configuration. Any thoughts?

Your hardware?  Installer drops to text if it can't start X or there isn't
enough RAM.

> Also, hoping for some clarification:
> - How does 10.1 Community differ from 10.1 Official?

Official has many bugfixes based on Community feedback.

> - If 10.1 Official might work better for my purposes, is there any way
> to download it for eval purposes?

Not as an ISO atm, unless you belong to club. The packages are available
on the mirrors.

> - How does 10.1 Official differ from 10.1 Discovery?

10.1 Discovery is sort of an introductory Linux, no compilers, development
tools for 1 thing, and I think it has only KDE.

> - How does 10.1 PPC relate to the various Intel versions?

It's supposed to be equivalent to 10.1 x86 download edition.

--
Stew Benedict
Mandrakesoft