On Thursday 11 Nov 2004 14:43, David Feldman wrote:

> Dell Dimension with 2.6GHz P4, 19" monitor...can normally run 1600x1200
> at 24-bit color in X, so technically it should be a problem. The
> monitor is connected through a KVM switch, though.

A kvm isn't a problem, assuming that it works with windows.  The 24-bit colour
might be, though.  Some cards do have problems with that.  If you can get an
install you may then have to change it to 16-bit.

> OK. So where does one actually buy a copy of 10.1 Official? I didn't
> see a product by that name.

Bear in mind that it may be quicker to wait for the download edition to
appear, if you are well back in the queue and have to wait for
inter-continental delivery.  If it can wait another week or two, I'd hang on.

It's almost certainly not worth your while installing Community, unless it is
so urgent that you can't afford to wait for Official.  Community is rather
like a late-beta, and feedback from the community generates bugfixes that are
included in Official.

If you can get the install started, use Expert mode for the partitioning tool,
but apart from that you can probably just accept the default offering for
almost everything.  There are plenty of tools to make it easy to change
things later.  Near the end of the install there is a summary page, and you
should look at each section there, under the Configure button.

HTH

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302