On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, David Feldman wrote:

> > Your hardware?  Installer drops to text if it can't start X or there
> > isn't
> > enough RAM.
>
> Dell Dimension with 2.6GHz P4, 19" monitor...can normally run 1600x1200
> at 24-bit color in X, so technically it should be a problem. The
> monitor is connected through a KVM switch, though.

OK, not an underrated machine then. That was my first suspicion.
There is additional log information on the other VTs.

> >> - If 10.1 Official might work better for my purposes, is there any way
> >> to download it for eval purposes?
> >
> > Not as an ISO atm, unless you belong to club. The packages are
> > available
> > on the mirrors.
>
> Is there a way to do a network-based install or something that would
> mimic the CD install?

Yes - nfs, ftp, http.

This url is for cooker, but the techique still applies, just change to the
correct repository:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/CookerHowTo

Someone else here might have a better link on the other Wiki.

> > 10.1 Discovery is sort of an introductory Linux, no compilers,
> > development
> > tools for 1 thing, and I think it has only KDE.
>
> OK. So where does one actually buy a copy of 10.1 Official? I didn't
> see a product by that name.

http://store.mandrakesoft.com/index.php?cPath=88&osCsid=2988c3794c8bbad98e06cd214eed3a98

I've heard download edition isos should be available for download after
customers start receiving their boxed merchandise.

> > It's supposed to be equivalent to 10.1 x86 download edition.
>
> Is that the Community or the Official?

Basically official, except PPC is not a supported platform, so you
probably won't see it being referred to as an "official" edition anywhere.
The PPC port was a community driven project, not by Mandrakesoft, the
company.

--
Stew Benedict
Mandrakesoft