> On Thursday 18 November 2004 02:16 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > This is my first post: I am turning to you for help for a minor
> > inconvenience. I have two linux boxes, a home dual-boot machine (it also
> > has XP for my kid's games) and a uniquely Linux box at work. Both were
> > running 10.0 Official until last night when I have the idea of
> > "UPRMI-installing" 10.1 Official to them. In my dual boot machine (old
> > Walmart Special Edition HP) everything went smoothly. In my office machine
> > (a three year old "high-end" Dell desktop) things went smoothly except the
> > following:
> >
> > When I boot the machine, the two first logins hang for about five minutes
> > before going through. This is not very serious, since I have no reason to
> > boot this machine too often, but I'd rather have that fixed. Let me
> > describe the problem in detail in steps.
> >
> > 1. Reboot the machine and let X-Windows start
> > 2. Login using valid username. Login prompt disappears and nothing happens
> > for about five minutes
> > 3. Wait five minutes and then suddenly the login proceeds as normal.
> >
> > There are variations to this theme: I can open a TTY-window (alt-ctl-f1
> > etc). The first login will hang there too, but opening a second tty-window
> > will let you login immeadiately. So if I want to login quickly after reboot
> > I have login three times  and to get to X-windows wait for five minutes). I
> > can also boot to failsafe mode and still the initial login hangs.
> >
> > Has anyone seen anything like this? Actually I have, with the same machine
> > and 10.0. Back then I ended up reinstalling everything to get rid of this.
> > Now I would not like to do that. I would be (naturally) happy to provide
> > info that might be helpful to solve this problem (like info on hardware or
> > content of log files). I can also live with this problem, but rather not.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Saku Aura
> Sounds like the sys is looking for something it can't find. When you log on,
> hit escape and watch the text feed.  When it stops and you get the long wait
> before it proceeds, that is where the problem  is. Let us know what part of
> the text feed it waits on and maybe we have a better idea of how to help.
> Normally it is a hardware issue and disabling harddrake on start up will fix
> it. HTH
> --
> Dennis M. linux user #180842

Thanks: Tried that. Actually, hitting Escape after login does not do anything
(strange, I also thought it should do something). Tried disabling services,
disabling harddrake does not help. I tried disabling sshd too, because every
time a boot I get the following noise on my auth.log:

Nov 19 10:06:42 saku sshd[3087]: Received signal 15; terminating.
Nov 19 10:07:44 saku sshd[3076]: Server listening on :: port 22.
Nov 19 10:07:44 saku sshd[3076]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Addre
ss already in use.

That did not help either. The behavior of the computer has changed now a little
though (with Harddrake and sshd starting at startup), now the freeze happens
before the login window appears. But I can still open up the TTY's and the
second login to a TTY will go through fine, while the X-window system and the
first login hang about five minutes. Strange.

Saku