[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Once more thank you for your answers (for all who contributed). I do appreciate
them, but I have not been able solve this. Let me try to be more clearer what
the problem seems to be:

I have the verbose mode on (or I think so) by default. I see lots of stuff
rolling through the screen when I boot (Like "Starting Shorewall: [OK]"). It is
only when this finishes (after getting the time from the remote server via
internet) things hang. The sequence of events varies a little from boot to boot
but here is what happens:

1. The blue screen with mandrake logo and an hourglass comes up
2. Sometimes I also get the login screen quickly, sometimes don't. If I do get
the login screen I can login, but then everything hangs (with the blue screen
with mandrake logo and hourglass).
3. When I don't get to the login screen I just see the same screen (with
hourglass).
4. After a random amount of time (at most five minutes it seems) everything
moves and is back to normal (i.e. I can login).
5. As I said, I can login to TTY, the second TTY-login will proceed immeaditely
to CLI.

What I have tried now is: 1. playing with /etc/hosts
2. Disabling hardrake.
3. Disabling sshd (because strange comment on the auth.log about sshd).

This has not made any difference. I wonder whether I should just let it be,
since otherwise everything is working and I really have no reason to boot the
machine ever. It is just the feeling that something is not right that bothers
me. Any suggestions welcome!

Saku

You may want to take a look at /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages to see if there are any errors reported there. There should be some clues in the logs...

Mikkel