On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 11:52, Lanman wrote:
> Never let it be said that I don't bring interesting problems to the
> list! This time, the problem makes no sense, unless someone has written
> a boot-sector virus and included it on the Mandrake 10.1 Community CD's.
>
> One of my systems has an Asus P4S800 motherboard running an Intel
> P4-2.8Ghz HT CPU and 512MB's of DDR 400 ram onboard. I've had 10.1
> installed and running flawlessly on it for some time now, but the hard
> drive (a refurbished generic 20GB ATA100 drive) was showing CRC
> errors,so I tossed it and installed a new (not refurbished) drive in
> it's place.
>
> The install went off without a hitch. Lilo displayed the kernel choices
> for a default (Linux-only) install. Upon rebooting, I was surprised to
> get this warning;
>
> DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
>
> Thinking I had a problem with Lilo, I rebooted with the first CD and
> went into rescue mode, where I re-entered the Lilo config and rebooted.
>
> I received the same error, so using a Windows98 CD, I fdisked the master
> boot record, or I should say, I tried to update the MBR. Instead, I
> received an error which stated that the MBR was NOT updated.
>
> After a quick search at Maxtor's support site, I downloaded powermax and
> did a full, zero-fill format of the drive, and tried to reformat the
> drive and to fdisk the MBR, but received the same error.
>
> The BIOS on this board doesn't have anything regarding Virus protection
> in the menu, and even though I've redone the hard drive using utilities
> from CD's, I'm still getting the same errors. Either I can't fdisk the
> MBR, or I can't boot the drive.
>
> Has anyone ever sen this problem? The system is fully compatible with
> Linux and was running 10.1 (and 10.0 before that) with another drive
> (now in the garbage and long gone), so the only thing that makes sense
> is that I've got a virus on the motherboard which is reinfecting the MBR
>   each time I re-install.
>
> I've downloaded several programs which are capable of repairing the MBR
> and they haven't helped at all. I've installed another new drive and had
> the exact same results.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful advice? This is just plain
> weird and I'm running out of ideas so I'd appreciate any help the list
> can offer.
>
> TIA
>
> Lanman

That just happened to me (on 10.0 though) and I had to make the /boot
partition "ACTIVE' using Partition Magic...after that, it was all
downhill (er, uphill)

--
stephen kuhn
mobile: 0410-728-389

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
Linux: Are you coming or what?

Hedonist for hire... no job too easy!