Bootdisk.com, download a win98 boot disk. Get your self a blank floppy, execute the image which will write to the floppy, it should have fdisk on it, from the command line type fdisk /mbr

That will wipe the mbr....

Stephen Kühn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 12:31, Lanman wrote:

> Thanks Stephen but I've never used Partition Magic, so I don't have it
> lying around to try your suggestion. It would be nice if there was a
> utility I could use to completely reformat or erase the MBR, especially
> if it actually worked! None of the ones I downloaded were able to fix it
> and neither were the anti-virus apps.
>
> I'm tempted to replace the m/board in case that's the problem. I'm
> wondering if it might be the IDE controller or something. It might also
> explain the drive (CRC errors) I had on the other drive.
>
> Maybe fate is trying to tell me that it's finally time for that 4 CPU
> Tyan board with 4 fast Xeon's and a few Gig's of DDR ram. Jeesh! The
> things I do just to run a "Solitaire" Game server! Grin!

Er...y ou can use a Win98 boot disk and fdisk to set the active partition
- so it's not a matter of having PQM (although it's a great tool to
have); fdisk and cfdisk do the same, but they're a bit more
dangerous...

--
stephen kuhn
mobile: 0410-728-389

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
Linux: Are you coming or what?

A celebrity is a person who is known for his well-knownness.