Derek Jennings wrote:
On Friday 03 December 2004 16:19, Keith Powell wrote:

My computer is badly showing its old age and it needs replacing.

I have been recommended to have an Asus P4P800-x motherboard, the
specification of which looks good.

At the moment, I am using an SMC ethernet card, and have a question,
please.

Does Mandrake "find" the on-board 10/100 ethernet chipset of this
motherboard, or would I be better off still using my SMC card? I don't know
what chip is used, as it doesn't tell on the Asus web site.

So long as you have the 'harddrake' service enabled you should be able to just swap motherboards and Mandrake will auto detect the new hardware and configure itself accordingly. The only exception would be if you changed video cards at the same time when you would have to run XFdrake after it booted.

Thanks very much for the information, Derek. It will be very useful, so I have made a note of it.

Yes, I am changing the old video card as well.

Cheers

Keith