On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:55:22 +0000
John Bowden disseminated the following:

> Ok you have got me worried now !Is it a win virus or one writen for Linux?

Guaranteed it's someone's Windows box has been zombied with a worm and is
spewing this crap.

As far as I know, there are *no* Linux viruses in the wild. There are proof of
concept vulnerabilities, and it is not impossible for someone to 'own' your
Linux box if they target you specifically, but on the whole as long as you do
regular checks for rootkits you should be OK.

> How do I check that clam is working and configure it.

Not sure about that one. I bet there's a log file for it somewhere, if you
check the docs it may tell you where to look. ClamAV expert around?

> I have a smoothwall firewall so I don't worry too much about the worms and
> it's logs tell me if a trojan has been inadvertivly downloaded, My windoz
> machine runs norton, updated daily

Actually, I've found several times that AVG catches malware that Norton doesn't,
and it's free, and got a *way* smaller footprint than Norton's bloatware.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
13:12:03 up 25 days, 4:23, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00