Kenneth wrote:
A Hundred Thousand Thanks, Rick!

Although it hasn't helped me fix the problem (yet),
I feel that the info you provided is a certain
lead.

Interestingly, though I am still getting the
same error report when I run Kate and for that
matter when I start KDE, I get the same results
that you sent me when I execute the same command.

I'll keep fiddling with it.. :)

Thanks for your help,
Ken

Another request, although, at this point, I'm sure no one could help till after Christmas at least.

If someone could go to Kcontrol>File Associations>application...
and hopefully locate there under known types octect-stream..
select octect-stream
and then report to me the listing you have under filename patterns,

Description,

and application preference order.

I'm hoping this will give me a pretty good idea of what the defaults are... and it appears that is what I have lost.

Happy Hollidays to all,

and thanks again,

Ken