On Friday 24 Dec 2004 19:16, Kenneth wrote:
> Kenneth wrote:
> > A Hundred Thousand Thanks, Rick!
> >
> > Although it hasn't helped me fix the problem (yet),
> > I feel that the info you provided is a certain
> > lead.
> >
> > Interestingly, though I am still getting the
> > same error report when I run Kate and for that
> > matter when I start KDE, I get the same results
> > that you sent me when I execute the same command.
> >
> > I'll keep fiddling with it.. :)
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Ken
>
> Another request, although, at this point, I'm
> sure no one could help till after Christmas
> at least.
>
> If someone could go to Kcontrol>File Associations>application...
> and hopefully locate there under known types octect-stream..
> select octect-stream
> and then report to me the listing you have under filename patterns,
>
> Description,
>
> and application preference order.
>

> I'm hoping this will give me a pretty good idea of what the
> defaults are... and it appears that is what I have lost.
>

> Happy Hollidays to all,
>
> and thanks again,
>
> Ken

Hi,
I went to KControl as requested and listed under octect-stream is

Description "Unknown"
Application Preference Order "none"

I then ran Kate to see if all is well and it opened just fine.

I run KDE as my desktop and I have not encountered your problem yet.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards,
Bill W.