John Layt wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:53, Anne Wilson wrote:

Maybe I misunderstood him, Eric.  I thought he was wanting to browse the
photos on the camera.  You're right, of course, it is the program that
opens when a jpg is selected.  If his camera doesn't mount as a usb storage
device he probably is stuck with gtkam for downloading.  Digikam can make
the albums for his later, if necessary.

Anne

Actually, all he has to do is close GTkam and then open Digikam and use its excellent download tool instead, it's just a pain to have to do :-)

I've been trying to read the Hotplug, Udev and USB websites to find out how to change this, but it sure is dense going and there's no obvious solution yet.

John.

Forget that new hard drive, save some lives instead, donate to the Red Cross:
 USA:  https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp
 UK:  https://www.donate.bt.com/bt_form_dec.htm
 Oz:  https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineTsunamiDonations.asp
 NZ:  https://www.banqonit.com/proxypage.aspx?boiid=205

Please keep at it John as I'm really struggling with this combination myself - please post any headway back here for us all.

As to mass_storage - my setup allows user to read/write to such device if it is already inserted at boot up time, but physically withdrawing the device then re-inserting at present requires that I mount the device as root - no truly USER_FUNCTIONALITY at present. I believe udev/hotplug/sysfsutils is the way to go - just haven't got it figured out as yet. [ The /mnt/name_of_my_device remains as user name/group from boot up but changes to root user/name when attempting to change the device - either to/from flashstick or to/from compact flash or from one to the other - makes no diff at present. ]

I'm running MDK10 kernel 2.6.3-7 ( Original official release ) . If I can do anything to help out, just let me know.

Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!
--

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213