On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:19, SnapafunFrank wrote:
> Please keep at it John as I'm really struggling with this combination
> myself - please post any headway back here for us all.
>
> As to mass_storage - my setup allows user to read/write to such device
> if it is already inserted at boot up time, but physically withdrawing
> the device then re-inserting at present requires that I mount the device
> as root - no truly USER_FUNCTIONALITY at present. I believe
> udev/hotplug/sysfsutils is the way to go - just haven't got it figured
> out as yet. [ The /mnt/name_of_my_device remains as user name/group from
> boot up but changes to root user/name when attempting to change the
> device - either to/from flashstick or to/from compact flash or from one
> to the other - makes no diff at present. ]
>
> I'm running MDK10 kernel 2.6.3-7 ( Original official release ) . If I
> can do anything to help out, just let me know.
>
> Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Making some progress on LinuxQuestions there's this page:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=560
which points to
http://digikam.free.fr/hotplug/howto.html
but it appears a little outdated in places.  I'll see what I can learn from
the scripts provided and follow up later.

john.

Forget that new hard drive, save some lives instead, donate to the Red Cross:
  USA:  https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp
  UK:  https://www.donate.bt.com/bt_form_dec.htm
  Oz:  https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineTsunamiDonations.asp
  NZ:  https://www.banqonit.com/proxypage.aspx?boiid=205