Anne Wilson wrote:

Not wanting to hijack the web-page thread, but Kaj's comment reminded me of a minor annoyance. I don't need special characters all that often, but when I do I have to use kcharselect (not knocking it - it's a useful tool). I used to be able to memorise a few select ASCII codes and enter them by alt+numberpad code. That's much quicker if you are preparing a longish document. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a similar facility in Linux, but I haven't found it yet. Does it exist?

Anne
- --
gucharmap could be what you are looking for - although I don't know enough about it to be sure.

Cheers,

Graham