On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 05:44, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> As in, I've just had one in the last little bit. :-(
>
> I was attempting a d/l via bittorrent. It timed out, and gave an error
> this for a few moments - then I started losing my system. I couldn't
> right-click on the desktop and get a popup menu, then icons wouldn't respond.
> Finally, the taskbar kinda faded out.
>
> I went for the KDE task manager to see if something was grabbing all my
> resources and kill it, but it wouldn't open up. Finally, I killed the x
> server with a <control> <backspace>. I was dropped to a prompt, instead of
> the graphical login I usually get. (this all happened pretty fast folks). I
> decided not to take any chances and reboot. I su'ed and 'shutdown -r now" but
> it wouldn't go past the shutdown message. I let it set for about 10 minutes
> before trying to go to another console, but by this point - everything was
> locked up hard. So...I gritted my teeth and powered off. (I should mention
> that I tried the "raising skinny elephants" bit first).
>
> Starting backup, it goes fine until reiserfs starts complaining about not
> having shutdown correctly (expected), but where normally this is recovered
> and the boot process continues - it drops to a prompt, where you can login as
> root. So I did. Started doing the usual reiserfsck stuff, --check,
> --rebuild-tree and all that. Everything is fine until we get to /dev/hda8
> (home). It gets to about 80% complete - then says there is a file that has to
> be deleted - it reports it does, but then locks up there every time. I tried
> about 3 times like this, reboots always gives the error that --rebuild-tree
> did not finish (duh).
>
> Anyways, so in a complete reversal of what usually happens, where you keep
> home and have to redo everything else, I had to do the upgrade, select no
> packages - and format hda8 (home). Odd.
>
> Fortunately, I do have recent backups so I didn't lose anything vital but I
> wold appreciate comments on what anyone thinks may have happened and why
> reiserfsck, which has been ultra-reliable here, couldn't handle whatever
> happened to my home directory.
>
> Thanks guys! :-)

What I would have done is to boot with the installation CD and do a
"linux rescue" - then run the reiserfsck all ReiserFS partitions. I
experienced something similar a few months back on a workstation here -
bootup reiserfsck choked and puked, whereas when I did it from the
"linux rescue" the errors got fixed and all was well and good after
that. IME, that is.

--
stephen kuhn
mobile: 0410-728-389
illawarra and regional new south wales
GNU/Linux/OpenSource Solutions and Alternatives
100% Microsoft Free :: Crashing is NOT an option.
Registered Linux User # 267497
Dear Emily: How can I choose what groups to post in? -- Confused Dear
Confused: Pick as many as you can, so that you get the widest audience.
After all, the net exists to give you an audience. Ignore those who
suggest you should only use groups where you think the article is highly
appropriate. Pick all groups where anybody might even be slightly
interested. Always make sure followups go to all the groups. In the rare
event that you post a followup which contains something original, make
sure you expand the list of groups. Never include a "Followup-to:" line
in the header, since some people might miss part of the valuable
discussion in the fringe groups. -- Emily Postnews Answers Your
Questions on Netiquette