dave needham wrote:

hi all,hopeing some one can help me please.im a new user to linux migrating from winxp and i will not be going back.im using the official mandrake linux 10.0. i need to learn the best way to dwnload soft ware to my pc.i mean where is the easiest place on the pc to put them and i also whant to learn how to extract them to a directory and be able to get them to work. this should keep some one buisy to explain.
thanks to all that helps....
dave.............

Assuming you have broadband.
Well start here: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
Do what is says as root in Konsole.
Start (star button)>System>Terminals>Konsole
Type:
su
to become root it will prompt you for your root password.
Once thats done you can at the konsole paste the commands from the url.
urpmi.removemedia -a
This will remove all your cds. Not reccomended if you don't have broadband.
Or in the Mandrake control center (as noted below) select sofware> Media manager. Unselect to disable the cd's
Then you can selet the software repostiories from the url above and paste the commands from it to add the online repositories.
Then you will not be prompted for cd's it will download and install.
So become root in Konsole and type:
urpmi mozilla-firefox
That will install firefox.
Or in a nice gui go to the Start (star button)>System>configuration>configure your computer
Then select software management> install.
Do some searches by group file or whatever.
Hope you enjoy Mandrake. Welcome to Linux!

-- Regards Dave Ashmore MDK 10.1 Official Mozilla 1.7.3