Tom Brinkman wrote:
On Saturday 22 January 2005 10:32 am, Julie Sloan wrote:

I copied /home to a CD, will reinstall 10.0, and hopefully
during the reinstall will set up a storage partition or two.
I'm dualbooting WinXP and Mandrake; have the Win on the
original harddrive and Mandrake on its own, separate, hd.  I
can "see" into windoze from Mandrake but cannot write to it.

Actually you seem to have alot'a snap for a newbie.

I hope I've learned a little bit in six months?? But a lot of what you say from here on looks like alphabet soup on the first pass :) So I'll read it again, slower...

In the re-install, make a separate /home dir this time ;) Also, IME, one real big /stor dir is better than many.

Why one real big /stor dir? Wouldn't it be better to have new downloads (from unknown sources; I don't mean rpms) go to a separate partition to isolate them just "in case", and to have certain types of large files, for instance MP3s, default to their own space?

As to 'see' into Win$ux, that why I left it at 'complicated'.
M$ ntfs FS's (and there are several versions), can be read by Linux, but write support is (intentionally by M$) dangerous and not supported. I'm not even sure if a tarball stored on ntfs can be transferred to Linux.

Yes it can - is how I got a modem driver when linux wasn't recognizing my conexant last summer. D/L'ed it into WinXP & then cp'd it into Mandrake.

BTW, when you re-install I recommend ReiserFS. And make a separate /boot partition (~50mb's, ext3). Ratio of '/' to '/home' will depend on how much total space you have, but IME, 8gig for '/' and 12gig for /home is plenty ... specially if you set aside storage space. For small Linux 'only' drives (<13gig), I believe putting everything one big 'ol '/' partition, with a suitable /swap partition is best use.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have 200G total on two drives, but 80 of that has Win$ux spread all over it. If I make a, say, 20G partition on the 120G drive, (where my crippled Mandrake 10.0 is now) then move (?) the 4G of WinXP OS into it, could I reformat that 80G into storage space? The thought of it is pretty daunting; I am very new to this and know very little command-line stuff.

When you refer to '/' , is that where /mnt is now, and is that where I'd access other partitions from, once I have them?

thanks, Julie

--

...my brain is MMMELLLLLLTINNNNNNG