Paul wrote:
Julie Sloan wrote:
Tom Brinkman wrote:

In the re-install, make a separate /home dir this time ;) Also, IME, one real big /stor dir is better than many.

BTW, when you re-install I recommend ReiserFS. And make a separate /boot partition (~50mb's, ext3). Ratio of '/' to '/home' will depend on how much total space you have, but IME, 8gig for '/' and 12gig for /home is plenty ... specially if you set aside storage space. For small Linux 'only' drives (<13gig), I believe putting everything one big 'ol '/' partition, with a suitable /swap partition is best use.

When you refer to '/' , is that where /mnt is now, and is that where I'd access other partitions from, once I have them?

Windows doesn't like being moved - you'll need to backup your data and
re-install.

<sigh>  baby steps...   one at a time...

The '/' Tom mentions refers (here) to the partitioning - when you are
asked about mount points when you install he suggests (at least) two
partitions '/' and '/home'. Under / you will probably see other
directories, including /mnt.

and /usr and /bin  or am I still confused?

If you format the 80G into a FAT32 partition, both linux and XP could
read and write to it.

What about a ReiserFS? Or is that something else, not a type of partition as I thought?

thanks, Julie