On Saturday 29 January 2005 19:06, Julie Sloan wrote:
> teguh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have some questions and do need your help since I'm
> > really,really,really new in Linux.
> >
> >   1. on booting my comp shows this status "Bringing up interface
> >      loopback eth0  FAILED". But the rest are OK. What does it mean?
> >      and  how to fix it?
>
> If you are connecting with a modem rather than LAN then you don't use
> the eth0.  I *think* eth0 referes to LAN.  If you are connected despite
> the "FAILED", then you don't need the eth0 to start at boot.

Hi,

eth0 is your ethernet (computer network) card. Since you can have several
ethernet cards, they're numbered: eth0, eth1, etc. If you have only one card,
then it's eth0. The network ethernet cards can connect to are
1) the Internet
2) a local area network (LAN)
In order to connect to the Internet (I assume it's what you want), you must
previously
1) configure your ethernet card
2)set up your connection.
Select "Configure your computer". You'll be asked for your root password.
Choose "Network and Internet", then "New connection". Depending on your
connection, choose "modem", "ISDN", "ADSL", "Cable", "LAN" or "Wireless" .
Connection can be set up to be started on demand or -always- at boot.

--
Pablo Ortúzar