Mohammed Badran wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David G Stevenson
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:41 PM
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] SM56 Motorola - modem problem

Mohammed Badran wrote:

Hi all

I have a SM56 Motorola modem and I can't make it work at

Mandrake 10.1

official,

I have downloaded the driver of mandrake 10 from
http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm

And done the following commands

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# insmod sm56

insmod: can't read 'sm56': No such file or directory

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# modprobe sm56

FATAL: Error inserting sm56
(/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.ko):
Invalid module format

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dev]# ls -l sm56

crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 24, 0 Feb  8 16:26 sm56

but i can't find '/dev/sm56' in devices list at KPPP also

when trying

to use '/dev/ttys3' it tells me that modem is busy

thanks all

The module should be noted in /etc/modules.conf, have a look
and see if the entry:

options sm56 country=44

exists, you need to change 44 to whatever your country code is.

Does 'lsmod' (as root) show it has loaded? If not, try:

% depmod -a
% modprobe sm56

From the docs, I see the device should be loaded as /dev/modem which
should be linked to /dev/sm56. So in kppp use /dev/modem.

depmod -a

--
Thanks,

David

hello

This is what written in modules.conf file

alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias autofs autofs4
alias /dev/ppp ppp_generic alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async alias tty-ldisc-14 ppp_synctty alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate alias char-major-24 sm56
options sm56 country=1 profile=0

the sm56 doesn't appear when doing 'lsmod' and when i do 'modprobe sm56' this message is showen

'FATAL: Error inserting sm56
(/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.ko):
Invalid module format'

also when doing 'modinfo' this message appear

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# modinfo sm56
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/drivers/char/sm56.ko
vermagic: 2.6.3-7mdk 586
depends:
author: S. Harris, K. Shao, A. Rosario, D. Gutson
license: Proprietary

Your kernel and the kernel the proprietary closed source driver was compiled against are different. Maybe different enough to cause problems hooking the code to the newer kernel. In the first instance I would email Motorola with your OS details and kernel version and ask them nicely for a newer version.

--
Thanks,

David