On Saturday 12 February 2005 01:34 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike Adolf wrote:
> > After I did as you suggested, messages contained:
> > ------------
> > Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> > Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: hdd: No disk in drive
> > Feb 12 09:24:42 mlnx kernel: hdd: 98304kB, 96/64/32 CHS, 4096 kBps, 512
> > sector size, 2941 rpm
> > -------------
> > Also if I run configure tool from harddrake it lists:
> >
> > Misc
> > New devfs device: â/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/part4
> >
> > Old device file: â/dev/hdd4
> >
> > Model: âZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy
> >
> > Disk controller:
> > ---------------------
> > Mike
>
> Ok - now we are making progress. If you put "ide-floppy" in
> "/etc/modprobe.preload", then you should alway get /dev/hdd4 created on
> boot.  Now you should be able to create your desktop shortcut. You
> should also check to see if a mount point is created for it in /mnt when
> you put in a ZIP disk. If it is not automounted, then as a workaround,
> you could try doing this:
>
> mkdir /mnt/ZIP
>
> edit /etc/fs and add this line: (all one line, even thoug it is wrapped
> here!)
>
> none /mnt/ZIP supermount
> dev=/dev/hdd4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
>
> This should automount any ZIP disk on /mnt/ZIP. It will work with both
> ext2 and fat formatted disks, as long as they use partition 4. It will
> also show up as an icon on the KDE desktop, but it will show always
> mounted. That is something I need to figure out how to change...
>
> Mikkel

It now works!  After editing modprobe.preload with ide-floppy, I rebooted.
When I tried to copy a file to the zip, it failed.  I looked in fstab and the
system had placed the exact line you listed above.  There is no hdd4 in dev,
only hdd.  So in desperation I changed fstab to /dev/hdd and rebooted with
the disk in the drive.  During boot, it polled the device (green light). It
never did that before.  I then opened it and successfully copied a file.
Something still seems bogus.  I guess I can make a Twiki entry, but I am not
sure the solution is necessarily the correct one.

Thanks for all you help.
Mike