Greg Meyer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Sunday 13 February 2005 02:19 pm, RickSisler wrote:
> > Greg Meyer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> > > My personal preference is xine because it handles streams better, but
> > > crossfading doesn't work with xine, so if you like crossfading, gstreamer
> > > is the way to go.  If you can get dmix going, which is a way to do
> > > software mixing without apps like arts, you can have amaroK use xine or
> > > gst and still leave arts running for systems notifications and stuff.
> > > --
> > > /g
> >
> > Thx Greg, switched to xine, crossfading is ok, but I can live
> > without it. Kinda wanted to get away from aRts since I don't run
> > KDE. Running Fluxbox actually, and I was using Juk, tho' now being a
> > convert to amarok, it reminds me of Musicmatch .. on the other OS.
> > They did a nice job on it, I like the cover manager, nice work ;)
> > Never had that before ..
> >
> amaroK is written to integrate with the KDE environment, but lots of people
> run it on flux, xfce or even gnome.  it requires libqt3 and kdelibs, but
> that's pretty much it.  The guys that developed it have created a really cool
> app that IMHO runs rings around anything else that currently exists.

I run a few KDE and gnome apps, but have grown accustomed to tweakin' Fluxbox
and have my own themes, mainly color changes, even setup amarok to match the
current one ..

> > Have you used it to rip cd's or do you use Grip for that ?
> >
> amaroK is not capable of ripping ATM, and quite frankly, I have not found
> anything else to be Grip's equal for the job it does.
>
> I am a big fan of do one thing and do it really well apps.  I really hate the
> tendency a lot of apps are starting to adopt to try and do everything.
>
> There is some talk of making amaroK support video playback and I am not in
> favor of that.  amaroK shouldn't become an operating system, it should be the
> best audio player it can be.
> --
> /g
Yeah, I thought so and agree, it plays really well. You mean, like
music videos ? Hmm. no time or interest for that, so I don't
favor it either.

Grip has been it for me, for ripping, but I was, again, wondering.
Thx again for pkg'ing these .. & cudo's to the Developers 8)
--
RickS
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x24AABE61