Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

This just an idle question really ...

Over the years people have told me how stable their linux set ups are, and that there is no need to log off, or shut down each day. How valid is this? In Windows I always used to shut down at end of the day. WinXP wasn't so bad, but both 95 and 98 required lots of reboots. I did have mandrake going all night last night as I had been to the easyurpmi site and it took forever to update the data base.
Is it good for the computer to leave it on all the time?

Thanks
Rosemary

I like to "tinker" too much, so the bast I have managed is to have a system up and runniing for about 300 days. This was a firewall/mail gateway/web server connected to the Internet 24/7. The only time it was unhappy was when a car hit the power poll down the street. The UPS ran out of power before they restored power to my house. Its harder to get that kind of uptimes if you are running cutting edge, and connected directly to the internet - you end up having to update the kernel more often then that now days. If it were not for kernel updates, a Linux box on a good UPS would go for years without a reboot.

Mikkel

I forgot part of this. Logging off is probably a good idea. It depends on the physical security of your system. Do you have to worry about someone being able to walk up to your system, and accessing you files? Do you have files that you don't want your boyfriend/husband/kids/sister/girlfriend/etc to be able to read/delete? If you live alone, don't have to worry about visitors accessing the computer, and don't have any sensitive information on your computer, then you don't have to log off.

Personally, I consider logging off in the same class as not leaving my checkbook or bank statement laying out. I don't really want to share that information.

The other consideration about logging out is that some people like to play "practical jokes" on other people's computers. While it takes more knowledge to do it on a Linux system, there are still some nasty tricks you can play on a person. I can think of some interesting programs to launch in place of the normal window manager... (Grinning about an old DOS "floppy cleaning program", and screen inverter...)

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!