Maybe I am being unecessarily  negative about linux.       But it does seem
that one has to work inordinately hard to achivee some basic functions.   I
have reverted to Kmail simply because I can't get links to browser to open
from Tbird.   It seems this may a Tbird problem rather than Mandrake or
linux.  Nonetheless - fixes suggested, other than command line, which is
beyond me as a newbie, don't work.  I guess of course, that it's possible
that I am entering text incorrectly.
At the moment I understand why linux has the reputation that it has.  I *do*
appreciate all the help I've had.

Wondering about going back to windows ....