Anne Wilson wrote:

On Monday 28 Feb 2005 11:11, SnapafunFrank wrote:

Bottom line, use the apps that work in Linux for now and stick to
configuring one preferred app at a time. You get to learn Linux and end
up with the exact app you want.

Coffee fix required me thinks.

I remember that when I first started I found that this was the best advice. The trouble is that the latest and greatest can really be a pain when you are still learning. I found that to stick to the apps that Mandrake gave me - apart from plf xine packages etc - was the best philosophy. I still mainly do, though not entirely these days.

I think you have been a bit unfortunate, too with some of your hardware. Most of mine worked from the box, but my first efforts at linux were stymied when my printer could not be made to work and I could not afford to change it. Things are much better now, drivers are available for many more things, but there are still some that may never be workable.

Don't get depressed. Work a little in both worlds until you feel most things are working, then you should be able to spend increasing time in the linux world.

Anne

I think it is actualy harder changing from Windows to Linux, then it is starting out fresh with Linux. You have to learn some new ways of doing things. If you are starting out fresh, you don't have to "unlearn" things. Most people have forgotten the learning process they went through when they started using Windows.

Now, what I would like to see sometime is changing from Windows 98 to XP compaired to changing from 98 to Linux...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!