Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:
Maybe I am being unecessarily negative about linux. But it does seem that one has to work inordinately hard to achivee some basic functions. I have reverted to Kmail simply because I can't get links to browser to open from Tbird. It seems this may a Tbird problem rather than Mandrake or linux. Nonetheless - fixes suggested, other than command line, which is beyond me as a newbie, don't work. I guess of course, that it's possible that I am entering text incorrectly.
At the moment I understand why linux has the reputation that it has. I *do* appreciate all the help I've had.

Wondering about going back to windows ....

Hi Rosemary, I hear your frustration. The curve is pretty steep at first.

A couple of points about CLI : Don't forget the Tab completion in the shell. If you start typing a link or a command, then hit Tab, it will show you the possible completions, and as you work along will fill everything in, correctly, because it only allows correct syntax. Not a cure-all, but stops a lot of typos.

The other feature of the konsole shell that I find can avoid typos is to highlight something you know you want to type, for instance a file found by "locate" then do Edit (from the menu in the top border) - Copy
If you then do shift-insert it will paste the copied data into your shell. Can also work eg from browser links. I use it setting up my urpmi sources from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/. Saves a lot of potential errors.

Saw this link a couple of days ago on MDK Expert list:
http://www.bytecave.net/anders/guide/mpguide/TroubleShooting.html#FirefoxFromThunderbird

Have a look, it may solve your T'bird/Firefox linking problem. Certainly worked for me, and (I hope) not too complex for a newbie.

HTH

Russell