Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

Maybe I am being unecessarily negative about linux. But it does seem that one has to work inordinately hard to achivee some basic functions. I have reverted to Kmail simply because I can't get links to browser to open from Tbird. It seems this may a Tbird problem rather than Mandrake or linux. Nonetheless - fixes suggested, other than command line, which is beyond me as a newbie, don't work. I guess of course, that it's possible that I am entering text incorrectly.
At the moment I understand why linux has the reputation that it has. I *do* appreciate all the help I've had.

Wondering about going back to windows ....

Whatever is best for you Rosemary.
I love Linux, but live on solar power in the bush using a laptop, no serial port, with 31000 kbps Internet access. The desktop uses too much power, but it runs Linux and connects to the net when we have a bit of spare electrical power. But I use mainly the lappy, reworked of course, not as out of the store, and windows XP, the modem and all else works out of the box for that. I like windows well enough, just not their philosophy.

I love Linux, but can't download the kernels etc,. that are required for me to get either the PCMCIA modem working, the USB to serial connector working or the winmodem working.

So use what you can and have and know. Experiment, I do much of my writing and other work that doesn't require Internet connection in Linux, and Use windows for everything else.

Computers are not about Linux, but about what you need or want to do. It depends on the individual but nothing is better, just different. I have come through from Red Hat, Slackware, Suse, even tried Debian for a while and so on. They are all good, I just happen to like Mandrake. Just can't use it on the net at the moment.

Just enjoy, don't sweat it, this is not an all or nothing situation.

Be well,
Charlie.

--

Though night after night. The moon is stream reflected, Try to find where it
has touched. Point even to a shadow.

- Takuan (1573 - 1645)