On Tuesday 01 March 2005 12:16 pm, Kirschner, Mark wrote:
> Julie Sloan claimed:
>
> But I never broke windows so badly I had to reinstall it!
>
> Julie
> --
>
> Um, you need to boot the computer for it to break  ;-)

Maybe I never broke it or got so virus'd up I couldn't fix it myself because
I didn't use IE or OE.

Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe I was lucky in another way, running into
people on USENET who told me "get a real ISP" "get a real browser" and
"join cauce."

So within three or four months of getting a computer (with <cringe> advice
from Dad, who STILL swears the sun rises and sets on AOHell), I'd moved
from AOL to mindspring, from IE to Netsape, was using Eudora-light for a
mail reader and FreeAgent for newsgroups, and was reading snopes.com and
symantec before forwarding all those warnings.  <g>  And preaching to
anyone who'd listen that AOL is the kindergarden of the internet - fine,
start there, but move on as soon as you are able or you'll never learn
anything.  Now I'm applying all I've learned into getting a real OS, and
it's really frustrating to be back in preschool.

Maybe this musing is getting a bit too OT for this list.  :)

Julie