On Tuesday 01 March 2005 01:46 pm, Duncan Anderson wrote:

> I used to use the MKS toolkit version of vi on DOS as well as the Korn
> shell and awk, grep, sed, et al. It was one of the reasons I never
> learned DOS properly! vim is cool, though.

I don't think there's a 'proper' way to learn MS-DOS.  My first conputer was
an IBM 360/65 running a timeshare simulator called RAX, heck, the first
programming test I ever took was to see if I could hold a 1401 punchboard at
arms length, so I'm a proper dinosaur.

> Eek! (He makes the sign to ward off demons!)

I still do most of my software development (bioinformatics in Java, mostly) on
my Linux box and move things to the Windows box only for integration testing.
The Linux box tends to feel a little slower than the Windows box but
development is faster as I don't crash it near as often.  While working hard
on the Windows platform I'll crash the development environment 2-3 times a
day, losing anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour's work each time.  At least
it's not my money, if they want me to work there they can pay my rates for
the time.