On Tuesday 01 March 2005 01:17 pm, Duncan Anderson wrote:
>.... What a pain! Editing text files is particularly
> irritating because my fingers operate in "vi" mode reflexively.

Get vim for Windows.  A decent vi emulator, heck, I use it under Mandrake and
on Sun instead of vi.

> I also find myself cursing over Windows' apparent lack of consistency in
> terms of where it decides to save things. I could go on...

There is a decent shell toolkit for Windows, the name escapes me at the moment
but it has ksh and most of the simple command line stuff.  MKS Toolkit,
perhaps?

> My main impression of Windows is that it makes a lot of things
> unnecessarily difficult!

Some, certainly, other outright dangerous (registry editing, anyone?).  If you
ever have to write stuff at the system level it's downright schizophrenic
with something like 3 sets of system calls for file I/O (as compared to the
UNIX norm of 1 set).  True pain on Windows is writing something that's to run
like a cron job on UNIX.  On UNIX you make it work then toss it into cron, on
Windows you basically have to write a service around it, a completely
different run environment, and it's impossible to test.  Bah!