SnapafunFrank wrote:

Unable to find dvd+rw-format executable

I have read the threads at k3b on this matter but am still unable to use k3b with confidence. Have 4 dvd-r coasters already.

So hopefully someone here can assist in getting me to burn dvd's ?????????

I'm running Mandrake 10 official at present.

So far I have:

k3b-0.11.1-15mdk
libk3b1-0.11.1-15mdk
k3b-dvd-0.11.13-0.1mdk
dvd+rw-tools-5.20.4.10.8-0.1mdk
cdrdao-1.1.8-2mdk
cdrecord-2.01-0.a36.0.1mdk
cdrecord-devel-2.01-0.a27.2mdk
cdrecord-cdda2wav-2.01-0.a28.1mdk

plus these also in case I've missed something:

gstreamer-cdparanoia-0.6.4-4mdk
xpcd-2.08-20mdk
kdemultimedia-kscd-3.2-14mdk
vcdimager-0.7.20-2mdk
libcdio0-0.65-3mdk
libvcd0-0.7.20-2mdk
magicdev-1.1.5-6mdk
libcddb-slave2_0-2.4.1.1-1mdk
libkdemultimedia1-kscd-3.2-14mdk
cdp-0.33-16mdk
xcdroast-0.98-32.alpha15.1mdk.cae
libcdda0-IIIa9.8-8mdk
cdparanoia-IIIa9.8-8mdk
gstreamer-cdplayer-0.6.4-4mdk
cdialog-0.9b-4mdk
nautilus-cd-burner-0.6.1-2mdk
xpcd-gimp-2.08-20.1.100mdk

I have also checked to be sure that the read only option is unchecked.

So I still get the dreaded " Unable to find dvd+rw-format executable " even though I have done permissions as per the forum on k3b and changed them back again. I have also attempted to direct things with k3b-setup by trying to include the path " /usr/bin/dvd+rw-format " but it doesn't appear to stick.

I have also uninstalled versions that appeared not to match and installed packages specifically for Mandrake10 only.

k3b appears to start up more friendly as user [ using the CLI ] than it does as root, so I'm not sure what to make of that at present. ( Two logged strings as opposed to dozens as root. More GUI problems as root I think.)

So how do I get to burn data dvd's to dvd-r discs? - Er... hopefully using k3b?

What was happening to start me on the upgrade path was that k3b was writing nothing to the dvd-r disc but somehow cooking it anyway whilst xcdroast would get 3-4% along with the burning then simply stop and after a while eject the dvd suggesting it was done.

As said above, hopefully someone here knows where I'm messing up.

Just a possibility I've found while vivisimo~ing ( another other than google ), Apparently, I need to turn off all the goodies I got running on my system - that is, supermount, hotplug and the like.

So I have a thought, ( ouch! ), is it possible to insert a blank dvd disc, allow k3b to open ( as it dose automatically at present ), close k3b and then umount the /mnt/cdrom to achieve the desired effect of other services leaving this disc alone for the time being ?

The idea here, I think, is to give growisofs, from the dvd+rw-tools package, exclusive access to the dvd writer. That way I can learn to use growisofs to burn data to the disc and if'n that works then go back to getting a GUI like k3b fired up and working. While all this is going on, I have, of course, to stop anything else on my system from trying to lend a " helping hand ".

If the above thought is not the way, how about looking at making a group such as 'burndvd' ? Would I be able to exclude which ever group/s supermount, hotplug and the like belong to from accessing that and thence give only growisofs permission for access ?

I'm getting in a little deep here and would appreciate any suggestions at all.

Have enough dvd coasters already.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213