On Wednesday 09 March 2005 23:03, Amy wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I noticed recently that my linksys router isn't showing the connection
> between my computer and the router as being functional in full duplex
> mode. This occurred after last friday when my Dad was having a new
> heater and air conditioning unit put in, the guys doing the
> installation accidentally turned off the power to the outlet my
> computer was hooked to. Since I wasn't home at the time, and my dad
> didn't realize this was going to happen (even if he did, I don't know
> that he would have been able to shut my computer down), my computer
> was turned off without shutting down correctly. The problem with the
> full duplex mode showed up after this occurred.
>
> I'm hoping it's just a setting was frelled, and that this can be fixed
> without replacing the network card in my computer, but my wandering
> through preferences hasn't lead me to find anything that might control
> the duplex mode. If anyone can point me towards where I might be able
> to fix this (or at least confirm that it is indeed my hardware that's
> the problem), I would most appreciate it. And in case anyone asks, I
> have reconnected the network cable on both ends, and I have plugged
> into various ports on the router to make sure it wasn't just the
> little light on the router that died.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Amy

Selection of half/full duplex is autodetected by the card itself.
If it was working before, and now it isnt, then that would suggest something
physical, a dodgy connector maybe, or a hardware fault.

It is possible to force half or full duplex in most Linux drivers. It is just
a matter of putting an option line in /etc/modprobe.conf
If you let us know which driver you are using I can show you how to do that.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org