On Monday 14 March 2005 22:11, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 14 Mar 2005 20:39, Michel Leunen wrote:
> > eric jackson wrote:
> > > You didn't say if you had a command prompt or not. If you do have the
> > > command line, did you try startx?
> >
> > No prompt, I use mdkKDM to login. It's the Mandrake graphical login
> > tool. Typing startx from a command prompt doesn't launch KDE. Actually,
> > the X server is launched. I can see the blue background image and the
> > splash screen but that's all. I forgot to say that there is no peculiar
> > message in /var/log/... either.
>
> Here's one possibility that I'd try.  Try XFDrake, if you can get to a
> command line.  Try booting "linux-nonfb" if you can't, then try XFDrake.
> If everything is still OK there you've ruled out one possibility.
>
> Anne

X isn't the problem as he can log into another windowmanager....it's kde
that's for sure.
Optionally he can start a kde-app (say konqueror) from a console and check
what kind of error messages come drifting by.....but I'd recomend that for a
later stage. Prolly some kind of setting that got messed up when logging out
in a previous session.
--
Good luck,
HarM