On Tuesday 15 March 2005 10:37 am, Tom wrote:
> Julie Sloan wrote:
> > Sorry for the very long (what follows), but I've been at this point
> > three times now, and each time I go to easyurpmi.zarb.org and start
> > over with urpmi.removemedia, (then get the new sources) and then:
> >
> > rpm --rebuilddb && updatedb && update-menus -v -n && ldconfig &&
> > urpmi.update -a --no-md5sum && urpmi --auto-select --noclean
>
>       First of all you shouldn't be mixin all those commands
> together Julie. Certainly not 'rpm --rebuilddb && updatedb &&
> update-menus -v -n && ldconfig' _before_ updating your media and
> gettin updates. Even then, those commands are really only useful
> _after_ large daily 'unstable' cooker updates, specially when libs,
> system files, or xorg updates are involved. And then you should
> follow with a logout from your DE (destop environment, eg KDE),
> restart the X server, and log back in.  Rarely, if ever, useful to
> do all that with 'stable' version Mandrake supplied updates (eg,
> 10.1, 10.0, 9.2 .....).

hi Tom;
okay, I don't need to update the menus and all that after each large update?
I thought I read here that I should.

>      You do realize that --noclean is just an option to keep rpm
> d/l's after uprmi has installed them, right?  Not normally somethin
> you need to do.  A better option might be --keep. It will keep
> present software on the system, and skip the update one, if there's
> a conflict encountered, rather than stop an tell you that there's a
> problem an an some package(s) need to be removed.  But even then,
> somethin not normally needed with 'stable' version updates.
> (see 'man urpmi' for better explainations ;)

I am doing --noclean so that I do not have to d/l the rpms again should I
have to reinstall (off discs) - I am on dialup and it takes several days.
Also I am keeping the rpms because I am fixin to install 10.0 on my laptop
and sure don't want to have to d/l all that once again.

It's not the version that's unstable but the i-d-10-t at the keyboard  :)

>      As far as --no-md5sum, I don't think you wanna do that either.
> It disables protection from d/l'g corrupted packages from bad
> mirrors.   I believe what you want is to add these lines to the
> beginning of   /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg     (brackets included)
>
> {
>    downloader: wget
>    verify-rpm: 0
> }

Oh, good.  I was wondering about using wget instead of curl.  As to the
--no-md5sum tag, I believe I learned that here also.  This morning I began
another thread asking why --no-md5sum, but no-one's answered yet.  :)

>        That will make urpmi use wget rather than default to curl.
> wget is often better if the mirror doesn't wanna play nice, or is
> very busy.  'verify-rpm: 0'  (0 = false) disables package signature
> checking, an you just know you're gonna say to go ahead an install
> anyway ;)   Checking the signatures, specially on contrib packages
> isn't much of a big deal anyhow.  Better that you have trust in the
> mirror and/or the provider (eg, PLF, CAE, Thac, etc.)
>
> urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select -v    is about all you should
> need.  If you get the dreaded "in order to update, the following
> packages need to be removed" message, an you're not sure that's a
> good idea (most often isn't), then run
> urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select -v --keep
>
>        Now if you (make the mistake :) of upgrading somethin like
> KDE to a 3rd party's newer version than your Mandrake came with,
> then run all those commands I said (above) were only usefull for
> large cooker updates.  IMO tho, you'd be better off just runnin
> cooker than goin for those 3rd party updates. Probly less problems
> ;)   YMMV

thanks Tom - all this may have been explained before but this is like
building blocks to me - - I have to understand one thing before some of the
others sink in.  You could say there are package dependencies in the
learning center of my brain.

--
Julie